Sao Paulo’s a cool place. I expected a dirty, rough sprawl. What I got was a friendly, wealthy, tres moderne high-rise bustling metropolis. Go.
- In the main, Sao Paulo is not a cheap city.
- For all I know I could have been flown to any southern European city.
- Us locals refer to Sao Paulo as Sampa.
- Sao Paulo lies just on the Tropic of Capricorn. That’s actually quite far south.
- c.1.4 million Japanese live in the state of Sao Paulo, the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan.
- I have never had as much sushi as I had in my 3 weeks in Sao Paulo. Eat as much as you like for c.Â£10.
- If you’re served a thimble-full of weak beer with more than half the vessel containing froth, it’s probably Chopp, it may be refreshing on a hot day but really, the stuff is piss.
- Hippest place I visited: the Sky bar atop the equally cool Unique (oo-nee-key) hotel. Have some Caiparinhas up there and enjoy that view. Best cityscape I’ve ever seen.
- People from Sampa are known as Paulistanos, people from the wider state are called Paulistas.
- Couples regularly CANOODLE in the STREET! Like it counts! Tongues an’all! My life.